- Who is it for?Escape Fake is an ideal tool in the form of a playful experience to be used in workshops and school classes in the field of media literacy- and FakeNews education
- Is there any costs?The game is free to use for everyone even commercially, it has no in-app purchases and is free of ads, it was made with a grant sponsored by Advocate Europe, we hope you enjoy it and give us your honest feedback and rating
- How long does the game take?The game consists of two Escape Rooms, one room takes about 30min to play, so the whole game should be solvable in an hour, smart competitive youngsters get it done in ~40 minutes
- Is there a best practice of use?We strongly recommend that you pair 2-3 players as a team using one device. The team experience and solving riddles together make this game so much more fun.
We recommend that you use this game in a 1.5 to 2-hour workshop format. You start with the game, after giving a basic briefing and instructions. Once all players finished or an hour has passed you would reflect together, might adjourn the workshop with some theory PowerPoint or talk.
The game is key to motivation for the topic, afterwards reflection and theory are king. We don’t want to replace educators, we support them with the ideal ice breaker and motivational tool.
- Which languages are supportedSo far, the game is available in English and German, so are all instructions on the webpage
I would like the game in my language → We are happy to adapt the game to various other languages but we would need to cover our development costs, just ask us what this implies…
- Will there be more rooms, topics and educative fun in the future?We hope so and are happy to work together with grant-givers, donors, supporters, and bigger NGOs to develop more experiences, currently we don’t have the financial means to expand the experience.
- How to use the game?First, Download & Install the Game-App Escapefake on your mobile device. (available on iOS & Android).
Then, download the Marker-Set (here)
print it on A4 or A3 and place the prints according to the instructions in the room.
Finally, play and enjoy it!
Rate it, Give us your Feedback, let’s develop this further !!!
- What is the marker-set? What do I need it for?The marker-set is what is required for the AR experience, so the camera of your phone or tablet can augment your physical room with the play elements and riddles. In order for the levels to show up you will need to scan certain images. The marker set can be found here
- Where can I print the marker-sets?All the required images/marker-sets can be found here with all the instructions on how to use them properly.
- How do I play the game and complete the levels (Spoiler Alert)?All the instruction on how to complete all the levels can be found on this link and/or on this video
- How can I leave feedback?Please feel free to write us your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
Comment on the mobile stores
Rate the game
- The game doesn't work?Have you accepted the use your smartphone’s or tablet’s camera? This is a must as the app must see through the camera to augment the physical room with virtual playobjects.
The game only works if you scan the images you printed and stuck on your walls/floor.
Still doesn’t work please give us an email at email@example.com and we will help you, if possible.
- How can I support you?If you have enjoyed the experience you can follow us on our social media channels (Facebook) and share the experience with your peers, so more educators use modern tools for this important cause.
If you are an institution/NGO/Foundation who is interested in working with us and helping us, just send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Populism poisons the minds of youngsters with fear and untruth. Teachers try to cure it by preaching history books to digital natives. We think teens need to experience education as an engaging experience, so together with school kids aged 14-18 we co-designed and are currently developing an interactive augmented reality escape room game to learn about fake news. Read, check facts, research, solve riddles and escape the fake.
Let’s escape the fake
In a not too distant future, humanity is living in a post-truth world. The spread of fake news and deep fake tools used in political campaigns, have created a broken, dystopian reality in which consumers cannot distinguish what is real from what is not. Artificial intelligence companies have gained power, influence and transaction the “truth” to the highest bidder. The consequences have been extreme: destinies and families have been ruined, elections hacked by extremist politicians, human rights have been reduced. You get a friend request on social media from your grand-daughter who is a reverse reality hacker from the future, asking you to help fix the present and stop this cascade of events.
EscapeFake is an immersive mixed reality experience which transforms every physical room in an escape room scenario in which users have to interact with a quantum reality hacker (AR avatar) from the future, find clues, solve riddles, in order to “escape the fake”. The blurring boundaries between real and virtual are key to our storyline. Our game is a mix of escape room mechanics, mixed reality and chatbot AI you can speak with (avatar).
Out of 500 international ideas EscapeFake won the Advocate Europe Award and additionally we won the Vienna Content Award for most creative project.
Thoughts on digital education
We are most interested in redefining education. Kids learn by asking questions and exploring rooms. Here we see a great potential combining AR with Communicative AI and Games.Robert Praxmarer Co-Founder Polycular
Our vision is to transform every physical space into a learning experience. We believe learning needs to be a challenge. Common eLearning solutions however are about reading a text, watching a video and then clicking on some multiple-choice quizzes which to all our experience is not working. First tests with our game showed very lively discussions afterwards with the players as they really came out of an experience which transformed some of their thinking. This is where we are headed…
Polycular is an award-winning, interactive design and game studio from Austria which pairs creativity and technological innovation to create experience spaces in the real and virtual world. Our track record goes back 23 years working with AR/VR technologies at the Ars Electronica Futurelab, later teaching and researching gaming and XR at Art University Linz and University of Applied Sciences Salzburg. We have a deep understanding of empathy, dramaturgy and storytelling. Alongside our work for clients, we develop self-driven projects rooted in our sense of social responsibility about the role of technology in shaping a future world. With EcoGotchi we produced an Augmented Reality Tamagotchi teaching kids sustainability. In 2016 we were selected to develop our startup further as a part of the Plug’nPlay accelerator in Sunnyvale, CA. We have produced works in the field of playful learning and mixed reality for companies such as Bayer, REWE, Lufthansa, Siemens, UEFA, PORR, DOKA and many more. For our work on using augmented reality for education we have been awarded numerous times (ReImagine Education, Netidea Award, Advocate Europe, Content Award Vienna, Green Start Award, Sustainable Entrepreneurship Award, Climate KIC, Climate Launchpad).
We have a qualified and diverse team of 12 experts who covers the whole experience design process from concept to implementation and user testing. Founder and CEO Robert Praxmarer is an artist/developer, former key researcher at Ars Electronica Futurelab, former head of AR & Computer Game Development department at University of Salzburg and director of CADET (Center for Digital Advances in Entertainment Technologies) and PELS (Pervasive Experience Lab Salzburg). CFO and Co-Founder Thomas Layer-Wagner has an art, interaction design – as well as an engineering background. Both forged a team of mixed talents such as 2D/3D Art, Game Design, Programming, Project Management, Creative Direction to make outstanding product and experiences.